Frequently Asked Questions

Please find below a list of frequently asked questions. Please contact us if you have any other questions or just for a chat, we’d love to hear from you.


What makes Troon Underwriting different to any other underwriting agency?

We see Troon Underwriting as an alternative to the composite market, whilst offering an extensive variety of trades and using an exclusive broker panel. We aim to build relationships and profability for our brokers in order to gain the best possible options for their clients. Troon also utilise the London market to gain support, when larger limits or unusual covers are required.

I am an independent broker specialising in commercial insurance, can I get an agency with Troon Underwriting?

Brokers who meet Troon Underwriting’s minimum criteria can simply apply for an agency by completing our agency application. Contact us for further details of criteria.

How do I obtain an application form to become an agent?

Simply click on the about us page and print our agency application, or alternatively you can email to request this, and we will send you one directly.

If I would like to target a specific commercial trade or scheme, can Troon Underwriting assist me with this?

Yes, Troon Underwriting will be happy to discuss the development of your scheme. We look to support brokers who target specific commercial trades.

Who owns Troon Underwriting?

Troon Underwriting is owned by parent company Commercial Risks (UK) Ltd.

What is the difference between Troon Underwriting and Commercial Risks (UK) Ltd?

Troon is an underwriting agency which is entirely bespoke and highly flexible. We can shape the right solution around the specific needs of the client. Our product itself has all of the sections of cover that you’d expect such as Property Damage, Business Interruption, Employers’ Liability, Public and Products Liability, Money, Goods in Transit, Specified All Risks, Frozen Food, Loss of License, Legal Expenses, Directors and Officers Liability and Terrorism.

Commercial Risks is a successful, independent and dynamic Lloyd’s of London broker, are predominantly a UK non-marine commercial insurance broker, albeit our client base incorporates financial institutions, professional indemnity, marine and overseas risks too.

Is Troon Underwriting regulated by the FCA?

Yes, Troon Underwriting is a trading division of Commercial Risks (UK) Ltd. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority 304286.

Why have I only recently heard of Troon Underwriting?

Troon was established in 2010, predominantly writing business for London and the home counties. Having built a strong reputation with these brokers, we are now expanding nationwide in partnership with a limited number of supportive brokers.

What does Troon Underwriting offer?

Troon Underwriting offer: ‘A’ Rated security, sum insured limit up to £8 million any one location, exclusive terms, Employers & Public Liability up to £10 million as well as access to experienced underwriters and exceptional service.

We offer competitively priced & well designed Commercial Combined, Property Owners and Combined Liability insurance products, delivered by experienced and empowered underwriters. We offer a speedy turnaround and ease of decision-making, were committed to achieving and maintaining high levels of service.

What products does Troon Underwriting specialise in?

Troon Underwriting specialise in Commercial Combined packages, Property Owners and Combined Liability. We insure most commercial trades, so please contact us to discuss your needs.

Does Troon Underwriting offer Risk Transfer to its brokers?

Yes, Troon Underwriting provides Risk Transfer as detailed in our Terms of Business Agreement.

Who issues the paperwork?

Troon Underwriting issue all documentation electronically, including all certificates and schedules. We are able to issue hard copies by request.